Kurtis Rodriguez signs with UNO to play golf

Courtesy Photo

Rodriguez places 2nd out of over 50 of the best golfers in the American Junior Gold Association in Waukesha, WI this July

Chris Huhn, Staff Writer

A senior at Red Bluff High School recently signed his National Letter of Intent to play golf at the University of Nebraska, Omaha.  This person’s name is Kurtis Rodriguez.  He received a two-thirds scholarship and not only did Rodriguez receive a scholarship for golf, but he also received an academic scholarship, as well. Rodriguez has only been playing golf since the age of 14 and has definitely accomplished a lot in only a few years. 

He spends most of his free time on the golf course and attends numerous tournaments when he is not in school. For example, despite terrible weather conditions, he took 2nd place at an American Junior Golf Association tournament in Waukesha, Wisconsin this past July. Rodriguez said, “The course was super narrow and treelined while being long, so it was all about accuracy off the trees. During the tournament, we got hit with three different rain delays in the span of two hours. It’s super difficult to keep a rhythm after rain delays, but luckily I was able to keep it going.”

For Rodriguez’s future college play, he says he is most looking forward to “being able to practice and compete alongside other college golfers.”  He says he picked UNO over the others that offered him offers because “it is a division 1 school, and they had a good schedule and I’d be able to compete in their tournaments. It also has a very nice practice and home facility.”

In order to receive notice from different universities, Rodriguez said he had to do well in big-name tournaments around the country and he had to compete in a lot of them.  Currently, he is ranked 110 in the world for best junior golfers.  This ranking is determined by scores, placement, and schedule in these big tournaments.  In order to improve, Rodriguez wakes up at five AM four times a week to workout with a personal trainer to enhance his golfing capabilities.  Then, after school, he goes to the driving range and putting greens for three hours before playing eighteen rounds.  Rodriguez spends a majority of his weekends traveling playing in amateur events against other division one golfers and former division one golfers.  Rodriguez signed on Wednesday, November 11.

Rodriguez says he is very excited about this opportunity to play the sport he loves at the next level, and he is looking forward to contributing to his team.

Rodriguez places 2nd out of over 50 of the best golfers in the American Junior Gold Association in Waukesha, WI this July (Courtesy Photo)
Rodriguez signing with the University of Nebraska, Omaha on November 11, 2020.