Mr. Null fosters critical thinking for science students

Mr.+Null+takes+science+seriously.+

Courtesy Photo

Mr. Null takes science seriously.

Fred Null Jr.: one of the more familiar faces to most people around campus. Null is a teacher in the science department at Red Bluff High School and teaches both Environmental Science and AP Physics. He can also be recognized as the instructor of the Key Club. Obviously but surely, he is also the heir to the “notorious” science teacher, Fred Null. Growing up in Red Bluff, California is what he did while returning to the “small rural community” after attending UC Davis. He went to school to become a meteorologist until he found his current career in teaching at the high school level.

Still, he desires to be a motivational speaker. The inspiration he found to be a teacher was a lot of help from one of his college professors, who ultimately was a tight end for Joe Montana. This professor had a dynamic way of speaking and provided insight into the world “through a completely different lens,” according to Null. This is also a big chunk of what his favorite part of teaching is all about. His goal in every class is to make students look at the world differently, in a way that they never really thought about before. Null feels that the most impactive way of teaching is by creating difficulties and small failures for students, something to overcome. This makes the struggle and grind more worth it in the end and the success a bigger payoff. So this means that essentially critical thinking = a good education.

Mr. Null takes science seriously. (Courtesy Photo)

Following the 4 years of teaching that he did at Salisbury, Null spent 11 more years right where he is now. Currently, he works on his 12th year at Red Bluff (16th overall).  I was lucky enough to be able to have the pleasure of taking Physics last school year with Mr. Null as my teacher.